Friday, August 2, 2013

Book Review - Twenty - Five by Rachel Hamm

Description


 Abigail Bronsen is sure her life is going nowhere when she turns twenty-five and realizes she hasn't done anything on a list of goals she made for herself as a teenager. Ben Harris is looking to find "the one" after his last girlfriend cheated on him. When they crash into each other, it appears they've both found exactly what they wanted.  A year of firsts follows: first date, first kiss, first “I love you’s.”  The first fight is inevitable, but neither of them saw a breakup coming.  When Abigail is offered a job overseas, they’ll discover that no relationship is perfect and even true love sometimes finds itself separated by time and distance.


Excerpt

Three little words.  How hard is it to say three little words?  Apparently very hard.  Neither of us seemed capable of just laying the truth out there. I thought hearing about the women he’d slept with would change how I felt about him.  Which is probably why I asked in the first place.  But it didn’t.  It told me what I hadn’t fully understood until then.  He was the one.  I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him.  And I was scared to death he didn’t feel the same way. He looked at me like he’d never seen anyone so beautiful.  He acted like he loved me.  But he’d never said it. What if I were Megan?  What if he wanted to love me, but couldn’t?
As October began, Ben decided he wanted to celebrate my last month in the mailroom.  I tried to explain I wasn’t guaranteed a monthly column, but he insisted.  “I have faith in you,” he said.  Not exactly “I love you,” but so close.
I glanced into his kitchen, where he stood busy at the stove, cooking dinner for us.  Us.  A word I thought escaped my vocabulary long ago.  I watched him for several minutes: chopping, stirring, tasting, and an entirely new sensation filled me - comfort.  I felt at home.  This was what I’d been waiting for.  My whole life I wondered what it would feel like to find a person who I could trust, laugh with, cry with.  I felt so blissfully happy in that moment, for once I didn’t wonder what he was thinking.  He hadn’t said those three little words yet, but I could.
I walked into the kitchen and put my arms around his waist, resting my cheek on his shoulder blade.  He automatically put his free hand on the two of mine.
“Careful, the stove is hot.”  His instinct to protect me caused my heart to swell and I could hear its rhythmic thumping in my ears.
“I love you,” I said.  The strength of my voice actually surprised me, I expected the words to come out in a whisper, but they rang out loud and clear.  He dropped the spatula on the stovetop as he whirled around.  Taking my face in his hands, he kissed me, his lips strong and intense.  Our breathing in sync, we stood completely still, and I drank him in, the words threatening to ruin the perfect moment by spilling out again.  I love you, I love you, I love you.
When he pulled his mouth away, his face remained close to mine.  “Sorry,” he began, “the normal response is, I love you, too.”  His cheeks flushed pink with pleasure and my heart nearly exploded from happiness.
“I think I liked your response better.”  I smiled.

Author Bio


Rachel was born in Buffalo, NY, but raised in Burlington, NC.  Thanks to her northern parents and being raised in the south, she likes to say she got the best of both worlds: (soda) pop and terrible sports teams (go Bills!), grits and southern hospitality.  She's been an avid reader since childhood, growing up with Sam-I-Am, Matilda, and Sarah Crewe then falling in love with Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy, Henry and Clare DeTamble, and Harry Potter.  For her, little things in life are the ones to be the most passionate about.  Sunkist.  Getting pedicures.  Her dvd collection.  A really great pen.  Twenty-Five is her proudest accomplishment.

Rachel now lives in Raleigh, NC, but someday hopes to make it to London.  She's pretty sure (if reincarnation exists) she was British in another life.

My Review

Aww....to be twenty-five again! This is a no frills, no supernatural complications, no mystery, no murder, straight up ROMANCE!!! I think it's been a while since I've read one of these. It was actually quite refreshing.

 Twenty-five is the story of two people falling in love. Abigail is twenty-five, sees herself as plain, works in a mail room to work her way up to columnist in a magazine. She's alone with her books and has decided that's how it's going to be. Ben is an entrepreneur from a wealthy family who's never had to work for anything. This story takes us from the moment they crash into one another (literally) to the end...which is happy, let me tell you.

Of course there are bumps along the way. About two thirds of the way through I HAD to keep reading. I mean I couldn't go to bed that night unless I got to the end. I just needed closure. LOL! 

I would consider this story between sweet romance and spicy romance. While we are not given the blow-by-blow in the bedroom, there is some heat to the build up. I wouldn't recommend it for  younger ages without parental guidance because there is some language and of course the bedroom stuff, BUT I think it does approach the subject of abstinence in a real way and moms, you just might want your daughters to read about a heroine who has decided to wait for all the right reasons!

This story is very fun and I really enjoyed it. I found myself smiling many times and my husband asking me what was so funny. I told him it was just really sweet! It is a well written light, easy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment